Earlier I wrote an article on how Revit 2017 fonts have changed and can cause the text to grow and shift. I wanted to share with everyone my process of figuring out what has changed so I know what to fix in the families, legends, schedules, and text. Our client, RNL Design, wanted me to start going through this process of upgrading their families and templates. Hopefully this helps you to know where to start looking and saves you some time.
The first step is upgrading your family library; this can be a tedious process if you don’t have a tool to automate the steps. I’m happy to say I have a tool for you that is free and you can download here.
Just a heads up, I changed the file extension from “exe” to “txt” so hopefully your virus software doesn’t interrupt the download. Once you download it just rename it back to “exe” and you are good to go. Just start a dummy project and pick on the new tab on the ribbon and follow the dialogue box, this is from our developer that helps us with developing our Pro-Revit tools.
The next item is taking one of your projects and print a sheet set from 2016 and 2017. Make sure that you use the same print settings so the PDF’s are exactly the same, and the names have a prefix of 2016 and 2017.
The magic tool that helped me know where the problems are between the two print sets is Bluebeam. Bluebeam has an excellent tool called “overlay”, it also has a tool called “compare” but I soon realized that “overlay” does a much better job, visually.
Make sure that you select all of the pages, for myself I used a dark green for 2016 print set and red for the 2017 print set. Once done, Bluebeam will create a new PDF that show the two print sets merged and overlaid. Here you can start seeing the differences with the color, much better than the “compare” tool that use clouds to show where the changes are.
You can see how the schedules and legends have changed, including the titleblock information. As I worked through the print set nothing was hard to fix, it was a tedious process of jumping back to the actual Revit 2017 project to see how much to adjust and then jumping into the Revit 2017 Template to make the final adjustment.
RNL Design is a multiple discipline firm so I have multiple projects and multiple templates that I have to go through. Again, I wanted to follow up from my last post and show you this is something that shouldn’t be taken lightly. Hopefully this also shows my worries of a client wanting to upgrade mid-stream a project from Revit 2016 or earlier, to Revit 2017.